Sunday, December 21, 2008

China Rising

Since my arrival to Beijing, one pertinent issue has been boggling my mind. Upon my arrival, I entered the world's largest airport, i.e. the Beijing Capital Airport, which is a humongous dragon shaped beast. As we drove through the city on the way to the embassy, I noticed that so many skyscrapers sprung up since the last time I was here that I felt that I was in a different city. Even though the Siberian gusts of wind had dropped the weather below subzero, the city was still in motion as if we were in the mildest temperature. These mere observations showed me that China was rising, and rising with energy! I couldn't fathom that this was the same country that was plagued with poverty and radical political ideologies that led to the death of millions during The Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution.

Today, China was defining state of the art technology and Beijing was a mere example of how this country was unfolding. China may seem like it sold its soul to capitalism and consumerism, but I feel that this is an image, whereby it is merely embracing the trends that define international commerce world wide. Earlier this year, Beijing embraced the world with the 2008 Olympics. This embracing of the world will result in China drawing the world in its arms like the US has done in the past to ascend to superpower status and ultimately, it will stamp the world with its trademark, "Made in China." This will be the defining point whereby the world will witness a shift of power from Washington to Beijing.

I feel fortunate enough to be in the midst of this historical transformation. I have to admit that I am sympathetic with this nation that has lifted approximately 250 million people from below the poverty level to becoming a hub of affluence.

No comments: