Thursday, March 3, 2011

The New Revolutionaries

"On behalf of the University of London Egyptian Student Association," I kicked off the post-lecture Q&A session, "I would like to express my utmost gratitude, Ms. Ahdaf Soueif, for your endearing account of your experiences in Tahrir Square, and Professor Gilbert Achcar, for your insightful analysis of the Egyptian Revolution."

This was the first official event that we, as Egyptian students in London, had organized to commemorate the our generation's revolution. I was pleased to see a large turn out to this event at the School of Oriental and African Studies. Supporters of all stripes and colors came out to hear of a revolution that symbolized fundamental human values: freedom, dignity, and justice.

Although I wasn't privledged to play a physical role in the Revolution, I felt it to be imperative to lend a hand to my compatriots back home. After engaging in an intellectual debate regarding the role of the Egyptian Army in the Revolution with Professor Achcar, I was amused to witness the passion in the air about what this revolution meant to people. There was a gentleman in his 80s who, in awe, exclaimed, "What these youth have achieved is a miracle! I am an Egyptian expatriat, and when I was 19, I witnessed the 1952 Revolution first hand. That revolution was stolen from the people by the army! But this time, this is a people's revolution thanks to you the Youth!"

Hearing various similar accounts made me realized that my generation has achieved something that my parents' generation could not have achieved in the past 30 years! I was humbled by the power of my generation's ideas and activism. To be honest, I doubted that we could ever achieve such glory. I always thought I was a loner, hence the name of this blog. I thought I would always be a "Romantic Revolutionary" and that the revolution I had always dreamed about would be a mere bourgeoisie fantasy. I guess I didn't have enough faith and hope in the possibilities. Although my imagination was limitless about the possibilities of taking Egypt and the Arab World forward, I wasn't a believe. But I can tell you one thing, this revolution has lit a spark in that will blaze forever in my and the hearts of my generation's compatriots.

This week, we have been working prolifically to organize events to raise awareness about what Egypt's victory means, commemorate the freedom, and prepare for the future.

More about our (i.e. Egyptian students in London) activities to follow...

No comments: