Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snow

I've realized that staying in one place for 24 hours makes you think a lot. My thoughts aren't innovative, ingenious, or grandiose. Rather, I began to think about the simple things, like washing the dishes, boiling some fava beans and eggs for breakfast, pouring the milk and realizing that its the same degree of white as the snow. When there's no rush, one tends to think about the simple things in life. These are the thoughts of someone stranded on an island.

Rather, I find myself stranded on a snowy island. Snow has engulfed my apartment to the extent that I can't open my front door. I had only heard of such snow storms up north in Montreal and Michigan, but never could have fathomed that they would take place down south in Cville. The silence and emptiness caused by the storm is almost scary. Its as if life has ended

I know that back home in Egypt, this storm would be unbelievable, so I think its worth sharing this experience.

Today, I was supposed to fly out of Cville to the sunny Egypt. Instead, after waking up to an unusual chill, I was shocked to look out my window and see that the snow had climbed quarter way up my window.

Snow quarter way up my bedroom window
At this point, I thought I must be dreaming, but when I went to look out the door, I couldn't open the door. I was trapped inside my house.

I don't think writing about it does much justice. Pictures really are worth a thousand words in this case, so enjoy:

View from my kitchen window


View from my doorstep

I'm the type of person who likes to be on-the-run and always outdoors, so this snow is a bit frustrating, but I think it is also an opportunity. I've never really spent a whole day in this apartment since I moved in, so this may be an excellent opportunity catch up on some reading and watch a film. Come to think of it, I might learn a thing or two about spending time alone. But first, back to packing for Egypt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

come to thnk of it u dont miss on any opportunity to write :))
& come to think of it i can write about that & i wasnt even there :)