Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Reflecting upon my Systems Engineering experience at UVa

I write this entry as I approach the brink of concluding my academic career at the University of Virginia. This is indeed an opportunity for introspection and reflection with regards to the past four years and the future that awaits me after graduation. I believe this sort of reflection is beneficial so as to recalibrate my current strategy and plan ahead for the future. In retrospect, I must admit that my journey at UVa has been rewarding and self-fulfilling. I recall visiting Princeton University’s campus during my early formative high school years. The idea of living a college town with a historical legacy behind it appealed to me since. I worked ardently during my two years in the International Baccalaureate program make this dream crystallize.

Ironically, during my university application process, UVa had never crossed my mind. I applied to over twenty universities in the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, the United States, and Canada. Not one of my applications had been addressed to the UVa. Oddly enough, I sent my last college application to UVa on its official application deadline. Even stranger was the fact that my first acceptance letter arrived from UVa. When it came to making the final decision, I chose UVa over Hong Kong University at the last minute. What really motivated my decision were the American education system’s flexibility, interdisciplinary nature, and superiority in science and engineering.

Looking back, UVa has equipped me with a strong technical background coupled with linguistic, leadership, and interpersonal skills. My immersion into UVa’ rigorous engineering program taught me to think in a systematic and analytical way and the discipline and work ethic required to succeed in school, work, and life. Specifically, the Systems Engineering curriculum transformed the way I go about solving problems in any and every situation. I have learned to think holistically about any situation and to determine the different political, economic, and cultural forces involved. In every aspect of my life, I have learned to untangle complex situations, work with time and cost efficiency, and evaluate different alternatives to select the ideal scenario. The curriculum’s collaborative environment has allowed me to learn from my colleagues’ skill sets.

I would have to say that the most valuable experience with Systems Engineering hitherto has been my fourth year capstone project. This experience has allowed me to apply Systems Engineering’s concepts and methodologies in a real world setting that truly interests me. I have always been interested in improving the lives of communities in developing countries. The opportunity has allowed me to lead a group of students from diverse backgrounds and work with real stakeholders to address the water sanitation needs of an indigenous community on Guatemala’s Lake Atitlan.

Working on an engineering service project in the developing world has taught me how to provide technical solutions that are culturally sensitive to the host environment. This experience has taught me everything from the design of point-of-use water filters to how to actively engage our clients in a participatory approach. Most importantly, I learned the importance of sustainability of any engineering project to ensure its long-term success.

Where do I intend to take my Systems Engineering background? Ultimately, I aspire to succeed. This is a very vague aspiration, but it is the concept of embarking on any task and accomplishing it with distinction. I pray that my academic background has equipped me with the determination, courage, and discipline to excel in life and serve others.

No comments: