Monday, November 30, 2009

Another Mystical Night With Z

In my moleskin planner, the 30th of November stands out from all the other dates in its bright highlighter-fluorescent. I’ve been anxiously anticipating this day. Fortunately, I have had a lot to think about since to get it off my mind. Whenever a milestone appears in my life, my imagination tends to get the best of me, and I begin base my every move on how I am to face what I believe to be a turning point of my life. Tonight is a case in point.

Earlier this month, the University of Virginia’s secret Z Society clandestinely invited me to a recognition dinner. I did not know what to make of invitation. Was it an induction ceremony, would the guardians of UVa’s most revered society finally unveil their society to those invited, what had I done to earn their recognition? These were but a few of the issues running through my mind. I began to consider every single feat I may have possible accomplished in my life. Sure, I give everything I do my best shot, but I am not an overachiever. Could the Z Society read my intentions? Do they really understand my altruistic motives behind every miniscule task I pursue in my life?

Speculations aside, I decided to attend this recognition dinner with a clear mind and sincere heart. After classes today, I hastily biked home through Jefferson Park Avenue’s damp streets. I had less than half an hour to prepare for what my mind kept telling me was a defining moment in my life. Feeling a bit drowsy, I brewed myself some yerbe mate to arouse my senses a bit. I quickly shaved, splashed on some tantalizing after-shave, and oiled my hair with Mediterranean olive oil. The only other occasion when I’d be putting this much meticulous effort in my appearance would be my wedding night! I then put on some slacks, an oxford shirt, and the beige corduroy blazer I hadn’t sported in some time. A second later, I was out the door with Mozart playing on my iPod.

The venue was Michael’s Bistro so I decided to take the route that would take me through the Lawn. As I passed by the fences of the Lawn’s hidden gardens, I reminisced at how rewarding me experience at UVa has been so far. I’m going to miss dear old Uva.

Not surprisingly, when I reached Michael’s Bistro’s entrance, there was a salient sign with the words: Michael’s Bistro will be closed tonight from 6 o’clock to 8 o’clock. This was a sign that tonight was the night. As I walked up the staircase, I could already sense the mystic aura that surrounded this night. When I reached the top, I could see two tables lined parallel to one another with candle light flickering on each of them. I was one of the last guests to arrive and I had to peer over my fellow UVa students’ shoulders to find my assigned seat. At my seat, an envelop with the name “Mr. Allam” in elegant cursive awaited me. After taking my corner seat, I introduced myself and exchanged my greetings with Laura and Rachel, the two who sat by my side; they were truly endearing! We had a lively conversation the whole dinner; more about that later.

Without any signal, we all instinctively ripped open our respective envelopes. As I read the words on the paper before my eyes, I was moved like never before. Never have I been so appreciated and recognized for my efforts in my life. The words were almost divine. It had been as if God had written them. How could someone know exactly what had been behind every one of my intentions all along? Before attending this dinner, I wondered to myself, what could I possibly be recognized for? This letter recognized me for everything I had sweat over during my years at UVa, and there is nothing more rewarding than recognition by the secret guardians of UVa. The words of wisdom that the letter leaves behind for me will inspire me for the rest of my life. As much as I would love to disclose the words of this letter, I shall abstain this time around. Rather these are words worth treasuring in one’s heart…

Laura snapped me out of my dignifying trance by mentioning, “This is a letter worth framing.” I think down the road, this will be a letter that I shall treasure even more than my UVa diploma, since this letter speaks to my personal achievements, which I value more than titles, statuses, or awards.

In this lifetime, I don’t want to do good to be famous. I’d rather be anonymous.

After savoring our letters for a couple of minutes, an English professor sitting among us stood up to make an announcement. He was speaking on behalf of the “mystical” Z Society. The eloquence of his speech was flared the night with even more charm. He mentioned that service come in various shades, but its ultimate impact is one and the same: good in the name of honor and serving one’s fellow human. At this point, it all clicked! All of the words inscribed on UVa’s various buildings finally made sense to me. Every time I had passed the various epigraphs in Jefferson’s Academic Village, I had absorbed his words and implemented them. The virtues I had learned from Mr. Jefferson are honor, integrity, freedom, devotion, i.e. to name but a few. One of the sayings of Jefferson that have stuck with me to understand my purpose at UVa have been:

This institution will be based on the illimitable freedom of the human mind. For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.”

This and many other Jefferson sayings have come to give me purpose in life. After clinching the speech with “…Mystically, Z” the English professor congratulated us earning a seat among him at this spectacular dinner.

I believe this recognition is just a taste of “what goes around comes around.” I believe in the end of time, call it the “hereafter” if you wish, everyone will earn the reward or punishment they deserve. This dinner was just a sample of it. It reminds me of the Quran’s words:

“On that Day will men proceed in companies sorted out, to be shown the Deeds they had done. Then shall anyone who has done an atom’s weight of good, see it! And anyone who has done an atom’s weight of evil, shall see it.”-Sura 99

I love it when I get epiphanies like this and everything in life intertwines together so naturally. For everyone else sitting on the table, we all seemed truly endeared by this moment in our UVa career. Most of us were third or fourth years. I could seem to relate to everyone of them on some level. Laura had a global experience like me. Rachel was a writer, reader, and had gone through the International Baccalaureate program like I did. There was another girl who had lived in the International Residential College like I did. With each one of these comrades, I believe I shared something. If it weren’t our past experiences, then I am certain it will be our future success and goodwill.

I ordered duck glazed dipped in pomegranate sauce over basmati rice and asparagus. It was truly delicious to say the least. Over our meal, we discussed a plethora of issues, but the one worth noting is the one I shared with Laura. She revealed that she is a Religious Studies major, so I decided to test my knowledge of religion on her. I thought I understood Christianity and Judaism before talking to her, but I found out that what I knew was very elementary. My perception was that both religions were mere diversions from Islam, but essentially all three religions belong to the same family. Laura revealed to me that despite the fact that we recognize the same prophets, our approaches to following their messages are very different. After exchanging our sides of the story, I realized that despite their same root, the three monotheistic religions branched out very differently. To my regret, the discussion was cut short. Dinner was over at this point, but I promised Laura to continue this discussion over a cup of coffee.

Overall, this deserves the speculation I previously had for it: a life-changing event. If there is one memory I am to cherish from my experiences from UVa, it is to be this night. And if there are words that will inspire me along the way, it will be those of the Z Society.

No comments: