Sunday, November 1, 2009

An Extra Hour…


Imagine that every morning you woke up, you were granted a whole extra hour…what would you do with it? Apparently I wasn’t aware that daylight savings was taking place today, so I woke up an extra hour early. Usually, I would look back and regret not having rested in bed an extra hour, especially since it was raining cats and dogs outside. Instead, today I was grateful for that extra hour. Well, I didn’t know about it until I was actually outside. As usual, I had to rush showering, combing, brushing my teeth, praying, preparing my books, and getting dressed. No bike today because of the rain.

My first stop was Alderman Library, so I had to walk through the unpleasant cold rain. It was soggy and I happened to stain my white shoes in mud and the fallen autumn leaves. The gray of the atmosphere really contrasted with the multi-colored orange, red, and yellow leaves of the season. I finally got to Alderman and realized that it was locked. “They must be kidding!” I thought to myself. I had to return an overdue book. Besides, I had four other classmates nagging on me to return it so they could get a chance to read it. I looked at my Swatch and realized that it was 10am; yes so they should be opened.

I then walk over the Clemons Library where some townies are waiting outside. This one was closed too. They then notified me that we had to turn the clock back. I completely forgot about that considering that I’d already done so in Egypt during Ramadan when we had our own day light saving.

Wow…so I have a whole extra hour to myself before having to return my book and go Dar Al Huda Sunday school to give my weekly class. First thing on my mind was breakfast, so I strode to the Corner where I slipped into cozy Bodo’s Bagels. There, smooth jazz music filled the air. Surprisingly, the students were a minority at this hour. It was the old townies that filled the place. I got my usual for breakfast: whole-wheat bagel, eggs, feta cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes; cinnamon raise with walnut and raisin cream cheese; and orange juice.

I devoured the meal in no time. I then started day dreaming for a bit by looking at the painting on the walls of Bodo’s and wondered what the story behind the character in each painting was. It was really surreal because it almost felt as if they were in the room with us. At least they seemed more interesting than the customers here. They were probably more interesting than me just because they’d had an enigmatic expression that was frozen forever.

I then wondered, “How I should spend the last half hour of my extra hour?” The answer was obvious: I’ll write about my extra hour. Of course, I’ll write! That’s all I find myself wanting to do nowadays. I want to write about anything and everything, so why not write about “an hour.” Writing has become an obsession. Whenever I’m studying, I find myself jotting notes irrelevant to what I’m studying. These notes include all the topics I’d want to write about. Some notes are even very ambitions, such as potential ideas for writing a book or a research thesis for a PhD. I’m just wish that I could drop everything I’m doing whenever I get a great idea and let it take over me, so I could just write about it. All I want to do is write, write, and write!

Anyways, I’ll have to start going. I’ve got to return that book and get going to Sunday school I’ll have to tell you all about that in some other entry….

1 comment:

C* said...

canan likes this post very much!
=)