Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Farmer’s Market


This time I’m reporting from another new discovery here in Charlottesville, the Farmer’s Market. I had some early bird friends always urge me to tag along, but I was always reluctant to wake up at 8am on a Saturday morning. Well, I did it this time around.

What really got me out of bed this time around was the notion that I would have spent four years here at UVa without visiting the Farmer’s Market. There are many Charlottesvillian traditions that I have missed out on, but I wouldn’t let this one go by without me paying it due attention. Besides, rumor had it that this would be the last Farmer’s Market of the year.

To get me out of bed, I connected my iPod to some lounge music to get me in the mood for a new day. Finally, I threw the cover to the side and jumped out of bed: enough laziness! I searched through the pile of clothes for a shirt and decent pair or jeans that weren’t to crumple up. I really need to do my laundry sometime soon. Check my three pockets: keys, phone, wallet, check…I’m ready to head out. Oh, wait, I almost forgot my camera and laptop! How else would I document this historic moment?! So I swung my messenger bag on my shoulder and rushed out.

I then hopped on my road bike and hit the road. The ride down here was a bit windy. I almost imagined myself in the Windy City of Chicago. Well, I managed to make it promptly. I’d always heard about the Market’s renowned bagles, so I guess my hunger was what really drove me on.

Upon arriving, I locked the bike to a “No Parking” sign pole, got my camera ready and ventured into the Farmer’s Market. Essentially, the Market the a gathering of local Virginian farmers who come to market their locally grown, organic produce…be it vegetables, jams, flowers, cookies, clothes, you name it… The theme is natural, green, and organic. Definitely sounds like a good deal to me!

Upon entering, I found some of beautiful white and purple flowers for $3.00. I would have bought them in no time, but on second thought there would have been no way biking back with them. Ahh… I can’t wait till I grow and cultivate my own garden!

I also really liked the scene of people here. There was a farmer’s culture. People were dressed in muddy slacks and shirts, grown beards, and funky vintage glasses. I don’t know if these locals meant it, but damn they had style. But you could also tell that they have this spiritual connection because of working the land for so long. They just look so content with life.

What the market really reminded me of was the Manhattan Flea Market that Mom would always take me to. I especially remember the lemonade and corn we’d eat there. Also, I remember following mom from stand to stand as she hunted for European antiques. I miss those days. So I was glad that I was keeping the tradition alive by visiting Charlottesville’s own flea market. Overall, the content of the merchandise was no different than that of the New York market: jewelry, clothes, art pieces, etc… but everything here was hand/home made. I liked that it really had a genuine feel to it.

What really pleased me was that everyone here was so blissful, everyone from the urban out-of-towners to the Amish families strolling around. At the end of it all, I snapped a couple shots, which I show below:

The Balloon Man making a child a "spider sword"
Some musician

The white & purple Flowers

My highly anticipated bagels

A dog dressed up as lobster for Halloween

No comments: