Friday, October 30, 2009

Pavilion VIII: The Prayer Room

I have recently discovered this jewel on the Lawn. There's not much too it. Three simple candle holder-shaped lamps, a creaky wooden floor, a beige colonial style fireplace mantle that contrasts sharply with the burgundy lining at the bottom of the walls. At first glance, its very difficult to attribute any functionality to this room. Its very minimalist with absolutely no decor, no indicator of a purpose.

Yet, there is so much spirit and serenity just by being here. The first time I passed by this room, I found a 1st year sitting in one of its corners reading a novel. I wasn't quite sure if I'd come to the right place at first, but after inquiring, she answered, "Yes, this is the Prayer room. I just come here in between classes because its quite."

The rustling shadows of the trees outside were slowly caressing the whole room. There was something so peaceful about being here that made me come back more and more. Between classes, I would look forward to escaping into this new world, where I could simply sit and meditate. I try to make the trip at least twice here. Its 9:28 and I feel like I've accomplished a feat getting through my daily prayers, so I decided to dedicate an entry to this room. This room that brings me so much comfort despite its simplicity.

I once wrote an entry titled Where Does God Live? and this room reminded me of it. In this case, I believe that God's presence is everywhere. Yes, even in a 19th Century colonial room at the University of Virginia. I think they keep the room undecorated because of UVa's secular tradition, but I actually like it that way. It expresses the true essence of Islam, i.e. its not by superficial appearances and rituals that one sincerely believes in God, but rather in the subliminal and profound intentions behind his thoughts and actions.

I have come to admire this room. At first, it deceived me for being another Lawn room, but now I understand that it is so much more. Never be judgmental. As a matter of fact, I would like to keep this room unadorned and minimalist. With no visual indicators, it enlightens one about religion and how it should really work...

I look forward to coming back to this room more often. Hopefully, merely sitting and meditating here can teach me more secrets of life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The sirinty, essence and silence that prayer adds to the space is amazing, you shall feel this even more when you get the chance to visit Makkah.
Its an amazing place that attracts and reattracts us to visit, but its not about the space or the place its about the human search for the purity and truth, Prophet Ibrahim (PBUH) searched for the truth all around the univesre, when he seeked to know who his god is,it did not require him rockets, or telescopes and not much of a science, just wondering in the greatness of Allah's creatures.
but it was not Prophets Ibrahim own mind that got him to the truth however its Allah's guidance, this guidnace that his almighty grants to who he wants and who deserves.
Allah provided us the guidance on where to know more about his almighty, the book and the teachings of his prophet is in our hands, learning is an amazing experience, imagine a dear person buys you a book, how eager you and him would want that you understand whats really the book about.
the book is the quran and the faith and belief is the value, and to know more about Allah there is no best reading than this book.
think about it, do we really know what his almight 99 names are all about, when you start learning these names that ALLAH named and decribed himself of, you get amazed what you really missed in learning.
its true spaces and places has an essence, beauty, quiteness and reverence but finally its not about this space or place in itself, its about a link that we try to grasp, our link to our creator, learning العقيدة is one of the most important things that helps us learn more and grasp that link only by his almighty guidnace.

Mostafa said...

Dear Ahmed,
Thank you so much for your benevolent comment. You are absolutely right. To grasp the true essence of God, its not a matter of scientific justification. There's a spiritual connection. You either have the faith in your heart or you don't. By seeking to learn more about Rabena, I think that he guides you on the path of integrity and righteousness. We just have to faith in Him and leave the rest to him.
Also, you're point of comprehending His 99 names makes you appreciate His presence in nature and life. Also, the Quran really purifies the soul and puts one at ease. Obviously we have a lot to learn in this life time, but it always very important to keep what you mentioned in mind. Thank you for taking the time to write this post.

Sincerely,
Mostafa

Lain said...

Hey Mostafa,

I ran across this article by googling "uva prayer room" because I had forgot where it was. LOL.
I like your wording and style. They are calming and sincere, and of course, poetic.

Hope all is well,
Lain