Friday, October 30, 2009

Midnight Cruise

Its been a long week, and I'm dog tired. After spending nearly the whole day out, I got back to the apartment around 11:30pm. There was something different about this time. Instead of walking into my tranquil den to unwind, I noticed that the most irritating mainstream music was playing over my head. Apparently my neighbors were throwing a pre-Halloween party. Usually, I'd stand on my chair and knock to mark my presence, but this time around I didn't want to ruin the party, so I decided I'd do something recreational to clear my mind.

One thing was sure, I had to get out of this place ASAP before I'd go crazy from the music hammering down from my ceiling. Perfect, I'd hop on my bike and see where it takes me.

My bike is one of those simple things in life that brings me so much joy. There's something so liberating about bicycling that I can't quite seem to find the words to explain. Is it the feeling that you and the bike are one machine that work in synchronization? Or is it the wind that gently caresses your face as you speed down a hill? Or maybe that you become a different entity altogether? The bike empowers one to move and experience the world from another experience.

I decided to bike to the Downtown. There were several parties here and there, but nothing classy. It was nice riding by people in their Halloween costumes already, but I could shake the thought: some people just never grow out of their youth! Usually its not allowed to drive down the main avenue of the Downtown because the police tend to be on the lookout and its usually too crowded, but tonight the Downtown was mine! I biked back and forth with the petite stores flickering past me like the film roll of a vintage movie. I would reminisce what memories I experienced in each of these venues that cultivated me into who I am today: the Mudhouse, Cafe Cubano, Vinegar Hill, Bashir's Taverna, The Tea Bazaar, the Vintage Store, etc... I'd spend hours on the weekends strolling from one store to another.

Finally I got to the theater all of the way at the end of the avenue. It was a vast concrete surface that was totally empty. I imagined on behalf of Omar, "What a great skate spot!" Tonight it was for me and my bike. I zigzagged back and forth, feeling as if it were my first time ride a bike. I kept going in circles and circles, never wanting this ecstatic experience to end. Almost an hour had flown by. Time to head back home.

On the ride back, I was amazed to see several other road bikers on the street. We would glance at one another and embrace a silent comradeship that we bikers shared. I decided to take a detour to pass by the lively Corner. I remember when I used to be one of these 1st years hanging out near Lil John's for a midnight snack, but the scene looks too shady for me now..

I then hit JPA and passed another road biker. I'd drift past him, and a second later he'd over take me. JPA was my territory, so I passed him again. I slowed down as I got to my apartment. It was then he shouted a friendly, "Whats up?" I informed him this was my destination and wished him a good one.

So this was my midnight cruise. Its interesting how a simple bike ride can lead to a whole plethora of thoughts, memories, and feelings... It was almost as it was all a dream. At least it was worth penning it so I can look back at it after graduation and appreciate the good times.

1 comment:

George said...

Interesting post... I can see that you put a lot of hard work on your blog. I'm sure I'd visit here more often. George from romantic films.