Monday, November 9, 2009

MBA Discussion Panel: Follow Your Passion!

I just returned from an MBA discussion panel featuring the admissions officers from the top business schools in America. You name it: Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, MIT, UPenn... they were all there. This session was sort of a sneak peek into how the leaders of this world are selected.

There is no doubt that the MBA is the benchmark for grooming those who achieve success, think big, and impact the world in a significant way. I was curious to understand the inner workings of these programs. I was curious to find out the secrets of success. Apparently the success equation is simple: follow your passion!

I will make this entry sweet and short as I don't have much time for writing tonight. So what I will recount will be the words of wisdom from some of the most accomplished people I have met in a very long time. When I meet people of such stature, I believe that it is God that speaks from their mouths to convey his words or reassurance that I am on the right path and that I should continue endeavoring to succeed.

In the process of paving your path for the future, don't lose confidence and don't succumb to anxiety. Live your life as you love it and don't live in the shadow of the expectations of others. The representative from Stanford gave an example. Imagine working the standard 9 to 5 job and not loving it to the fullest and working with someone who does love it to the fullest, who do you think will achieve greater results. Its a given.

Make decisions that make you happy, that make you a better citizen, and not because you believe that it will look good on your resume or CV. If you do follow the resume-seeker role, you'll end up being like every other candidate. Seriously just do what you're passionate about and the pieces of success will fall into their right pieces.

Also, since we are young, take as many risks as you can. If you don't fail, it means that you're not trying hard enough.

At this phase in our life, all we need to do is lay down all the cards of our many aspects of life and do some introspection. Sit down and figure who you are, what you want to achieve, why you want to achieve it. What legacy do you want to leave behind. Know thyself and erase any doubts under faith. Faith in God, in yourself, and in the fact that everything will work out at the end.

Some quotes left behind were:
"Education is the great equalizer of humankind." This is very true since it is intellectual capital that equalizes one's opportunities in the workplace.

Also, Roosevelt once said: "You must do that thing that you think you cannot do!" Hence always strive above and beyond the mere requirements and squeeze your potential to the last drop of sweat!

During the Q&A session, I asked to question:
"How can we ensure that we don't fall into the trap of being a jack of all traits but master of none with an MBA?"
and
"Sure, an MBA allows us to manage people and resources, but how can we go about doing that without a purely technocratic approach."

These two questions really cornered the panelists, and it was interesting seeing how they addressed the answers to the questions directly to me and not to anyone of the hundred or so other people attending the discussion. I was very humbled when the Stanford representative, in a private discussion, told me: "You know, you have a really great aura around you, which attracts people to you." I don't like flattery, but I was truly amazed how my simple comments backed with confidence and courage led everyone to remember my name and take me seriously.

I enjoyed the personal dialogue I exchanged with the other candidates. At first I was hesitant to approach them as I didn't have a clear-cut set of questions, but at the end I realized that they're only human, made of flesh and bone like I am and that I have nothing to fear from them. It was rewarding and fruitful talking to them one on one. If there's anything I learned its to have confidence in one's self and take bold risks.

Also, go out and take initiatives by leading people without seeking to have it on your resume. You don't have to be a leader to lead.

I know that this isn't a structured entry; its merely my stream of consciousness from tonight, but I wanted to record it before it fades away. I hope it will give me confidence in the future and might give my dear reader some motivation in a time of need.

1 comment:

Gary said...

I am totally agree with your views...Just getting an MBA degree is not enough, you must have some technocratic approach to manage people.

If you don't have such approach then a MBA degree will look good on your resume or CV.

So try to learn some technocratic approaches along with your MBA.It will help you a lot when you will apply for a job.