Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Way of the Romantic

"I must create a system or be enslaved by another man's; I will not reason or compare: my business is to create."-William Blake


Reality has made me forget what it means to be a Romantic. The mundane routine of life can take its toll, making one forget his purpose in thie world. Recently, I stumbled upon an exhibition at the Tate Britain that reminded me of why I write, blog, and create. It reminded me that the Romantic is a dreamer, an idealist, a believer. The exhibition, titled the Romantic Movement, made me quite nostalgic of my Virginian days, when I was loner searching for the truth. I recall going to a used bookshop one day and buying 100 books of ecletic genres. Goethe's, Decartes', and Wordsworth's works became my new companions. Without knowing it, I was in a quest to become a Romantic.


According to a caption hung on the exhibition's entrance, Romanticism is a movement that "describes preoccupations of thinkers, writers, and artists expressed with special intensity at a particular point in history: liberty and individual rights, the creative power of the human mind and our relationship to the natural world." In a sense, I see it is a form of worship. By using one's intellect to ponder upon creation and to create and innovate, one is fulfilling his/her purpose. The poets who explored love and the beauty of nature were in essence paying tribute to the factors that make life "special."


I was in awe to see how the oil and water color paintings hung on the museum's walls were a reflection of emotions, moods, feelings experienced by their creators. For instance, Turner actively made use of Color Theory to project certain emotions. Yellow was meant to epitomize hope and divinity, whereas grey and black reflected darkness and emptiness. The Romantics coupled these techniques with images of the sublime. Natural landscapes of mountains, seas, and lakes were meant to show the grandeur of God's creation.


The fact of the matter remains that this was a purely Western movement which thrived in the 17th century. Nevertheless, as a aspiring Romantic, I imagine this movement to be more all-encompassing. Any human being who seeks to use his/her mind to wonder, dream, and create his/her own world qualifies.


As my time in London comes to a conclusion, I am grateful that my time in this city has rekindled my romanticist soul.

2 comments:

Räumung wien said...



مدونة مميزة
كل تقديرى واحترامى لكم ... :)

wohnungsraeumung said...

Multi wonderful and excellent luxusumzug Fur Wohnungsräumung und favoritenumzug fur <a