Thursday, March 19, 2009

Audioblogging in my Mothertongue


I have recently discovered a splendid new medium of expression other than blogging. It is called Audio Blogging. Essentially what it is is an online radio station whereby the anchor, who is the blogger, expresses his thoughts and ideas in vocal words. Once accessing one of the Egyptian audio blogs, I was so elated to hear a monologue in Egyptian Arabic for a good five minutes. It had been a long long time since I had had exposure to listening to my mother tongue for so longer. Having to watch corny Egyptian movies or stand those mind-numbing pop songs drives me mad, but this indie, modern, and cosmopolitan means of audio blogging is quite entertaining. One of the audio blogs, Teet Radio, talks about some issues of Egyptian daily life. It is as if I am sitting in downtown Cairo eavesdropping on mindlessly conversing about what they think may be intellectual.

For the past ten minutes I have been listening to some blogger talk about his strange habit of log-keeping, whereby he takes note of all his observations during the day. He keeps prolific notes in notebook, which is secretive but he enjoys recording the behavior of society and people. Although he doesn't enjoy this arduous task, he reviews the events that occurs and observes the consistency of the different people over days. He then talks about his tattoo, which is Chinese character that reads "Truth," which pains him when he finds an inconsistency in his log.

To some extent, I used to do this daily logging in my diaries...But I think I go beyond that by collecting every memory, be it vintage photos, plane/bus/concert tickets, stamps, or any artifact that brings back any memory. I can't wait to return to Cairo to record my experiences there.

Strange, I know, but I take interest in these strange, indie, unconventional kinds of stories, that is so out of the norm. But what is enjoyable is that they play some nice jazz tunes in the background that goes so well with the issue.

Its a good relief to hearing some Egyptian Arabic, but once I feel getting nostalgic and as if I am in Egypt once more, I have to turn of the radio to avoid feeling homesick...

No comments: