Thursday, March 19, 2009

Consolations for Tenaciousness

Lately, I have been feeling a bit antsy and tenacious. After doing some introspection, I realized that the feeling of letting go can cause anxiety in one's life. Detatchment is an aspect of life that is universily faced, but it is a matter of seeing it as an opportunity rather than a curse that will elate you.

Despite it hurts to let go of whatever we may have become so attached to, detatchment gives us nothing more than the opportunity for renewal. Detatchment is a vast mystical topic, but if there is a thing or two that I have learned, it how to endeavor to cope with detatchment. I know that someone very dear to me is going through an experiencing involving detatchment, this time to a place he might consider to be home and in a career that is characterised by honor, prestige, esteem, and eminance.

I guess I can relate, even if it is to a very small extent...

I truly regret that I have lived the past couple of years here in Charlottesville in melancholy. Lately, I desire to live in no place but here. I no longer have the desire to live the big city life that I had always dreamt of, but have come to really love the small town life that it had taken me so long to get used to. At the same time, it is no use looking back and regretting my past impressions. All one can do is flip to a new page and renew their life. This semester at UVa has been my most blissful so far, simply because I have shaped my perception to be a happy one. You are the only person can determine your happiness.

Well, after feeling so settled and happy here in Charlottesville, I feel like life is changing all over again. For starters, I am moving out of the room I have lived in for the past two years and which has become a part of me. I will definitely miss this view that has I have woken up to every morning. Moving into an apartment will be a mature step, a transitional step in life, but I am apprehensive to change.

The view from my window

The apprehension to change stems to other parts in my life as well. What lies before me after UVa? After four years of hard work, where will life throw me next? Will I be able to fulfill the expectations bestowed upon me? These are some questions that circulate in my mind every now and then. I know that I am not the only one going through transitions lately, so I can definitely relate to the apprehensive reaction to feeling that something that seems like it would last forever is finally coming to an end. It is so true that one never really appreciates the value of what is in his hands until it is gone!

I know that my case of uncertainly and letting go is a trivial one in comparison to others, but if there is one thing I have learned from my past experiences is that the wind of life takes away everything. Why do we feel so apprehensive then if we are anticipating the wind?

It is because we are not as hasty as the wind, but we must learn to detatch ourselves from any selfless desires and allow the wind, or shall I say the hand of God, to guide us. We must completely submit and let go.

We must adapt to change. Every day is a new day, never affected by the former, and not necessarily a continuous thread leading to the next. Every sunrise gives us a new opportunity. Oh, how mundane and monotonous life would be if every new day was like the previous.

The more tenacious we fell attached towards objects, the more the pain we feel when it is time to let go. Although I may have fallen in love with certain aesthetic aspects of life here, it is only then that the wind blows its hardest; this is when we must be prepared to let it all go.

At the same time, He is never unjust. Whatever is taken away from you is returned to you in some other shape or form. The tide of the sea returns to shore everything it once gulped up. Isn't that what karma is all about? Just keep in mind that no effort goes to waste. The seeds you have sowed through the work you have invested will one day become ripe fruits that you will someday reap as the booty of your labor.

I hope that these consolations can ease the pain of tenaciousness. Its never easy to let go at first, but once you surrender yourself to detatchment, life will play before you like a movie, and the smile on your face will never fade away...

No comments: