Thursday, November 20, 2008

Breathing Revolution


Recently I've been thinking a lot about it, and it hit me, I feel like I'm stranded on the wrong side of history. I would die to live for a second in the 1960s. I wish I was a contemporary of likes of Tito, Nasser, Ben Bella,Che, Nehru, and the like. I wish I lived in a brave world that where a feeling moderinity was in the air, where there was a movement, a revolution, and the momentum of wanting change the world to be a better place. Where there was to potential to establish a new world order. When real change could happen, and not just a slogan to win a presidential election. These were the times when revolution was still in the air, air I wish I could breathe. Unfortunately, people have become so apathetic in this age we live in. We are so preoccupied with life that we care less about revolution.
The Beatles remind me of this age in history that I sadly missed out. There was revolution on all scales, whether it was music with the Beatles who revolutionized music with the introduction of Rock n' Roll or Picasso with his introduction of cubism in Art. Revolution was definitely in the air back in the 1960s and 1970s. Back then, there was a greater sense of involvement among the youth generations. Now I think that the hippie lifestyle may be too Bohemian, but it had a point. At least the youth had the nerve to question the system, to defy the government. I think the greatest voice to this revolution was music. In a country that posses the greatest opponent to revolution, the Woodstock Music and Art Festival exemplified the beacon of revolution with its call for an idealist vision of world peace and love. I think the song that best hits the nail when it comes to calling for peace was Scott McKenzie's San Francisco, which truly defined the Summer of Love.

These were the days when real revolutionaries existed and revolution was in the air. I strive each day to learn more about the revolutionary lifestyle that my father's generation led, and I strive each day to better myself so I can come close to emulating the standards they set. I would like to conclude by a quote by that exemplifies what it means to be a revolutionary:

"The Revolutionary is a doomed man. He has no private interests, no affairs, sentiments, ties, property nor even a name of his own. His entire being is devoured by one purpose, one thought, one passion - the revolution. Heart and soul, not merely by word but by deed, he has severed every link with the social order and with the entire civilized world; with the laws, good manners, conventions, and morality of that world. He is its merciless enemy and continues to inhabit it with only one purpose - to destroy it."~Bakunin & Nechayev

No comments: