Saturday, November 22, 2008

Cafe Cubano: My New Sanctuary

I'm a sucker for Cuba and I admit it. Almost everything Cuban appeals to me, from the Cuban Revolution to Salsa music. Just yesterday, I discovered a tucked away cafe called Cafe Cubano. After a stroll down the Downtown, I escaped to this Cafe with my book and enjoyed a good cup of Chamomile. Of many of the cafes I'd been to, I liked this one because of the ambiance that was very simple, yet very reminiscent of my readings of Cuba. The walls were painted in vintage orange, and they had classic coffeemakers that blow steam every other minute. I literally felt as if I'd walked into Cuba. All of the sudden, the cold freezing cold of Charlottesville disappeared, and the smell of freshly roasted coffee tantalized the atmosphere.

From the framed photos on wall, I imagined myself walking down the alleys of Cuba, where the colonial remains of the Spaniards still stand. I felt very much at home in this new atmosphere. Although I spent most of my time doing reading an Arabic play for class, I truly enjoyed the refreshing cup of Chamomile while listening to Cuba's best: Buena Vista Social Club. I can't wait to bike down to Cafe Cubano for another refreshing reading session among the gallery of vintage photos of Cuba and atmosphere that truly brings Cuba and its Caribbean atmosphere to life midst the cold of Charlottesville.

No comments: