Friday, November 14, 2008

The Pond: Reflections of Life


Nowadays, I feel as if there is immense pressure to deliver. More than every is life fast pace! The weeks fly by and yet, life is more monotonous than ever. When will change come about? We are told to keep our noses drowned in books, but what's next?

Today, as I sat reflecting by the pond, I began to question life. We are told that we must study hard to get a good job to make lots of money to be happy. Therefore the formula is:
hard work = good job = $$= :)
right?

No, not in my eyes. By day, I am an engineer/economist who is studying how to be as profitable as possible. But by night, I am an artist, a poet, a writer, and an intellectual. I live a dual life. One that is realistic and one that is idealistic. One face of my coin is that of a pragmatist, while this other is a dreamer.

I have become an individualist who embraces escapism. Yes, that's right, I enjoy getting away from it all. I enjoy my reflective moments by the pond, where I can enjoy my leisure of photography, reading, and writing. The pond is my bubble, where my revolutionary ideas flourish boundlessly! In this bubble, there is no longer the worry of work, money, and the heavy demands of money. The only worry I have is that of the sun setting on me.

I am sure if I had the same interests in money and my studies, I would be the most successful person in the world, but I enjoy being a pupil of life who learns more from his daily interactions with his environment. Some might consider all of my leisure readings to be futile, but believe me: I am who I am because of my passion and mission to understand humanity, and not how to make money. Life cannot be dictated by the money=happiness formula! I cannot understand those who work on Wall Street to look at numbers all day to see how to make money out of nothing. I like to see a product, a creation, or a way of helping humankind. Only then will I accept money, but money should never be the incentive driving work ethics.

Unfortunately we live in a world where money is the evil despot that rules all, so I guess all I can do is balance between my two lives, but mark my words, once I make enough money to live comfortably, I will blow it all away by sailing the seas to see the world!

1 comment:

C* said...

your post reminded me that song;)

bones sinking like stones
all that we fought for
homes places we've grown
all of us are done for
and we live in a beautiful world
yeah we do, yeah we do
we live in a beautiful world

bones sinking like stones
all that we fought for
homes places we've grown
all of us are done for
and we live in a beautiful world
yeah we do, yeah we do
we live in a beautiful world

and we live in a beautiful world
yeah we do, yeah we do
we live in a beautiful world

oh all that i know
there's nothing here to run from
'cos yeah everybody here's got somebody to lean on