Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Egypt in a Microcosm: Wust El Balad

My previous post inspired me to include one last post for the day. This is about the underground band that I previously mention. They give a new meaning to music in Egypt, one that truly reflects Egypt's clamorous and chaotic environment that I so dearly love. They are truly revolutionary when it comes to giving Egypt a new beat that it can dance to. They are artsy, original, and sophisticated. What I love most about their music video is that it takes place in the heart of Cairo, Wust El Balad. Scenes of Midan Tahrir and Masr El-Gedida remind of when I would stroll around aimlessly with Amr and Mark in the heat of Egypt's sun. Oh how I miss it all!

This music video is such a relief from the all-the-same-sounding arabic pop music that is so detached from reality and filmed abroad with foreign girls that doesn't represent Egypt at all. This music video talks of everyone in Egypt, from the garbage collector to the intellectual. This is the true Egypt and reminds me of Naguib Mahfouz's Midaq Alley, which is truly representative of Egypt in a nutshell.

Enjoy the true heart beat of Egypt through Wust El Balad's music!

No comments: