Monday, November 10, 2008

The Many Faces Of Egypt


My nostalgia got the best of me again. Its been over two years since setting foot on Egypt, and I'm ill with homesickness. To alleviate my sickness, I've been skimming through album after album of photos from Egypt. I recently even compiled a bunch of photos from Egypt that were taken by my father and me and posted them on facebook in an album I titled مصر, but I found some really neat photos that really mirror what I truly love about Egypt: its people. I first happened to find a collection of portraits taken of Egyptians on the Egypt Travel Guide of the New York Times

This page features several amazing photos of Egypt with different themes, such as Weekends in Cairo, Alexandria Rising, the Coral Reef of the Red Sea, but by far my favorite was "The Face of Cairo" collection, which can be found on the bottom-left corner of the page. I truly feel that its the Egyptians that give life to Egypt. Their simplicity, hospitality, ambition, humor, light heartedness, but most importantly their smile. Yes, merely looking into their simple smile can make truly make one experience of emotions!

One of the photos I've posted is of a Faluka captain! Falukas are sailing boats used since Ancient Egyptian times, and sailing on them through the heart of Cairo is one of my favorite past times.

The reason that I enjoy browsing through portraits is that they can tell you just as much about a country's culture, history, and spirit as cliche monuments. 3arabawy, an amazing blogger also has a superb collection of portraits of Egyptians in his البوم.

I believe that anyone whose been to Egypt would agree with me that Egypt is a photography heaven. A nation so clamorous that there's always the perfect shot. Well, anyways, I leave you to enjoy the photos that really touch my heart and alleviate me of my homesickness when seeing them.

1 comment:

C* said...

to feel homesick, it is not necessary to live in another country or another continent=) you r lucky, at least you have undestandable, valid reasons...missing always better than alienation...